The second week in October brings us to Fire Prevention Week. This year the theme from the Ontario Fire Marshal is “Every Second Counts: Plan 2 Ways Out!” The goal of this year’s theme is to urge families to be proactive and practice their home fire escape plan as part of Fire Prevention Week.
The Ontario Fire Marshal has provided the following steps to be prepared in advance for home fire escape planning:
- Assess the needs of everyone in your home
Identify anyone who requires assistance to get out of the home safely, such as small children or older adults.
- Make sure that you have working smoke alarms on every storey of the home and outside all sleeping areas
Make sure everyone in the home knows the sound of the smoke alarm.
- Identify all possible exits ( doors and windows ) and make sure they work
Know two ways out of all areas, if possible.
- Everyone must know what to do when the smoke alarm sounds
Assign someone to help those who need assistance.
Identify a safe meeting place outside.
Call the fire department from outside the home – from a neighbour’s home or a cell phone.
- Practice your home fire escape plan at least twice a year
Have everyone participate.
Make changes to your plan if necessary.
At South Easthope Mutual, we care deeply about you and your family’s safety. We really hope you will take time this week to plan your escape route and practice it.
Click here to develop your escape plan!