‘I’ve had an Auto Accident. What next?’
You’re driving to work and you have to brake for traffic. The driver behind you, (who was following too closely), rams the back of your car. The rear end of your car now has significant damage and you wonder what you should do next.
Following are step by step instructions on what you should do after you’ve had an accident:
- Stop and pull over. If you don’t stop, you may be subject to criminal prosecution.
- Stay calm and call police or emergency services if:
-Someone is hurt or injured
-If damage to vehicles is over $2,000
-You think the other driver may be guilty of a Criminal Code offense such as driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Or you suspect you’re the victim of a staged collision or there is any damage to another person’s property.
- If it’s safe, get out of your car. If you have a camera or cell phone take photos of the scene and damage to both vehicles.
- If it’s safe, move your vehicle to the side of the road, turn on hazard lights or place warning triangles.
- Exchange and record information. Take photos of the other driver(s)’ information – their driver’s license, insurance and ownership. You can download our Accident Worksheet here to keep in your glove box. It has spaces for all of the information you will need to record. You may want you to use your cell phone to audio record as much information as possible.
- Look for witnesses at the scene that may be able to give a statement to the police.
- Call South Easthope Mutual or your insurance company as soon as possible after the accident. Let us know what happened and ask for next steps. South Easthope Mutual’s 24/7 claims phone number is 1-800-263-9987.
• Try to remain calm.
• Do not argue with other drivers or passengers. Save your story for the police.
• Do not voluntarily assume liability or take responsibility, sign statements regarding fault, or promise to pay for damage at the scene of the accident.
• Be watchful for unauthorized tow truck operators.
Please pay attention on the road and avoid distracted driving. We hope that you never have an auto accident. If you do and are insured through South Easthope Mutual our Auto Claims team is here to guide you through the process. Please drive safely out there.
Source for steps: